OMG..... MY TAX BILL CAME IN REALLLLY HIGH!!
OMG..... MY TAX BILL CAME IN REALLLLY HIGH!!!!
Did your property assessment change drastically this year? You're not alone. Below is the appeals process and what you can to do to object to your assesment with the county.
Land & Improvements
- Colorado statutes define "Improvements" as: "Improvements" means all structures, buildings, fixtures, fences, and water rights erected upon or affixed to the land, whether or not title to such land has been acquired. 39-1-102(7), Colorado Revised Statutes (CRS).
- The appraisal data used to establish real property value was from the 48-month period ending June 30, 2022. If data is insufficient during this time period, assessors may use data from the five-year period ending June 30, 2022.
- Your property was valued as it existed on January 1 of the current year. The "current year actual value" represents the actual value of your property. The tax notice you receive next January will be based on this value.
- An assessment percentage will be applied to the actual value of your property before property taxes are calculated.
- The assessment percentage for 2023 for residences is 6.765%; with a value adjustment of -$15,000. Generally all other property, including Vacant Land, Commercial and Natural Resources, is assessed at 27.9%. A value adjustment of -$30,000 is applied to Commercial properties. The passing of SB21-293 sets renewable energy personal property and agricultural property assessment rate for 2023 at 26.4%.
- Property Taxes are determined by multiplying the total actual value times the appropriate assessment rate, to determine the assessed or taxable value. The assessed value is multiplied by the aggregate total mill levy to determine total property tax amounts. The Assessor's primary responsibility is to locate, identify, and value all of the taxable property in his jurisdiction.
- State law requires the Assessor to notify each owner of Real Property by mailing a Notice of Valuation on or before May 1st.
Real Property Protests by Mail
If you choose to mail a written protest, you may elect to complete the protest form contained on the Notice of Valuation and mail (i.e. fax, United States Postal Service, or courier service) it to the Assessor at:
P.O. Box 636
Fairplay, CO, 80440-0636
Our fax number is 719-836-4193. To preserve your right to protest, your mailed protest must be postmarked no later than June 8, 2023.
To preserve your appeal rights, you may be required to prove that you have filed a timely appeal; therefore, we recommend all correspondence be mailed with proof of mailing.
Protests in Person
No in-person appointments will be available at this time. In-person protests can be filed at the office Monday thru Thursday, 9:00 am to Noon and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, May 1 thru June 8, 2023.
856 Castello Avenue
Fairplay, Colorado 80440
Appeal on-line through our Property Record Search page. Enter your parcel/schedule number (10-digit number, located in the upper left-hand area of the NOV) and click go. This will access your property record as the Assessor has it listed. Complete the on-line form, upload supporting documentation and press submit.
To preserve your right to protest, you must file your online or email appeal by Midnight on June 8, 2023.
After the aforementioned dates, your right to appeal in 2023 is lost.
By law, the Assessor must make a decision on your protest and mail a Notice of Determination notifying you of the decision on or before the last working day in June.
Appealing the Assessor's Decision
If you are not satisfied with the Assessor's determination, by law you must file a written appeal with the County Board of Equalization on or before Wednesday, July 15, 2023.
For more information regarding 2023 real property appeals, contact the Park County Assessor's Office at 719-836-4394 during appeal season or 719-836-4331. Additional data and information is available on the Assessor website.
Sales by zip code from 06/01/2020 - 06/30/2022
80456 - Jefferson, CO
80432 - Como, CO
80440 - Fairplay, CO
80420 - Alma, CO
80449 - Harsel, CO
Land 5.1 Acres and Up https://matrix.recolorado.com/DE.asp?ID=DE-338172139754&eml=YWxwaW5ldHJpYmVAZ21haWwuY29t
Land 5.1 Acres and Under https://matrix.recolorado.com/DE.asp?ID=DE-338172144908&eml=YWxwaW5ldHJpYmVAZ21haWwuY29t
Jefferson Real Estate
Email: [email protected]
Office Phone: 719.836-2615
Office Manager: 719-838-7007